Q: Can you drive a car with a bad throttle body

I am wanting to buy a car and was told that the throttle body is bad. I really need to know if I will be able to drive it for a little bit until I can fix it and about how much the part costs? If it is going to be worth it or if I am going to be able to afford it? Thanks for any and all help that is given!!!!

To answer your question: maybe. The throttle body has some redundant circuits in it that might make it possible to operate in a "limp home" mode, but unless the owner can have the car repaired and verify the repair before you buy it, you are probably better off letting this one go. Too often have I seen people buy cars that have been "diagnosed" as needing just a certain part, and then when they buy the car it turns out to be just a small part of a long story. However, if you are considering buying this or any other used car, you would do well to have it checked out first by a technician from YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your prospective used car and let you know if it is a deal.

3. Can you drive a car with a bad throttle body