Q: The negative post on battery wont let me connect it. It sparks and smokes unless you disconnect the wire from solenoid going from the battery to the starter.

asked by on December 13, 2016

i had to replace the aculater rod along with tumbler.the rod was completely out of tumbler i pulled the gear in the lock and got the end of aculater rod with the teeth to fit seems to be working right i disconeted tne engine switch but hooked it back up.now my battery cant be hooked up negative is acting lile positive unless you unhook starter cable from siliiinoid

Service Battery/cables $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1142.70 Get a Quote

Hi there. When the battery cable is hooked up and sparks with smoke, the question to ask your self is if the wire is getting hot. If the wire is getting hot, then the starter solenoid has melted the contacts and the starter needs replaced. The wire sparking and emitting smoke is the sign of a starter solenoid or starter armature failing causing a high amount of resistance on the battery forcing the battery to an instant draw. When this happens, the starter needs replaced and the battery cables need cleaned. If you need further assistance with your battery cables sparking and emitting smoke, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.