Q: When start car, engine clicks and clacks - 2008 BMW 528i xDrive

asked by on September 21, 2016

In the mornings when I am starting the car, the engine begins to make a clack and click-type of noises. It will not rev over 2000rpm. The clacking and clicking occur until the engine has been on a few minutes and it warms up. Then the car does fine all day, but the next morning the same problem occurs. I researched and found suggestions of replacing the camshaft position sensor, so I did that; however, it did not help the problem at all. In your professional experience, what should I do to fix this?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There is a BMW Technical Service Bulletin (BMW SIB 11.09.07) that addresses the click/clack noises you mention. Check with your dealer to be sure it applies to your vehicle. The low rev limit (2000 rpm) is a bit more puzzling. Check for problem codes on the "low rev" problem - this sounds a bit more subtle. Alternatively, if you don’t want to go through the dealer, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the noise and assist with repairs.