Q: Can I change my car oil from 5w-20 to 10w-20 because the oil is burning quicker?

asked by on June 22, 2017

My car has evening burning oil a lot quicker for a while now. Can I switch my car oil from 5w-20 to 10w-20. Ice read some where that it is possible and it will help with the quick burn of oil.

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The effect on oil consumption will be zero to negligible (these are both SAE 20 weight oils at operating temperature) and, in any event, any beneficial effect will be offset by the reduction in the efficiency of operation of the engine, and possibly service life, of the engine. If the engine is burning oil, you may simply have worn out valve stem oil seals. It is far better to address something like that, if a cause of the leak, because such will also help to prevent damage to the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors, parts that are relatively sensitive to burned oil contaminants in the exhaust. To obtain a diagnostic on the leak sources, please use YourMechanic’s oil leak diagnostic service page. If you request the latter service, the responding certified mechanic will help you to resolve this issue with good advice. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr