Q: Rough shifting, slow shifting, noisy trans

I have a 2007 Nissan Altima with a CVT transmission that has been giving me quite a bit of grief lately. The first 40,000 miles went smoothly but then the car began shifting slowly and struggling to shift at times. The shifts were jerky too. I fear that I may have to replace the transmission soon, and in a car that already has 70,000 miles on it at this point I am really considering just getting rid of it. Is this a common problem? What can I do to solve this without buying a whole new car?

This is a common problem, and Nissan is aware of it. They have released a Technical Service Bulletin NTB13-079c that outlines the procedure of installing an add-on cooler to help keep the transmission fluid in check. In some cases the transmission does need to be replaced, but the dealer will have to be the one to determine that.

3. Rough shifting, slow shifting, noisy trans