Q: Pops and misfires, what would make this happen?

My 2006 Honda Pilot will randomly start misfiring and making noise, then go back to normal. Sometimes I have to turn it off and then back on to get it to stop. The Check Engine light will pop up and the car starts running rough. This engine, along with the entire car, is at 87,000 miles. I worry that if I bring it in for repair, they’ll tear the motor out and replace it, costing me a few thousand dollars. Is it dangerous to drive my car like this? Is there any chance of repairing it at this point?

A: The Check Engine light coming on is an indi...

The Check Engine light coming on is an indication that continued operation could cause damage. The engine could also emit excessive emissions. You should have the vehicle’s computer scanned for codes. This test will confirm that when the light is on and the engine is running rough or misfiring with noise, it is the engine valve rockers sticking when sliding in and out of the valve control lock up. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 07-070, dated 1/24/2012, that goes through a diagnostic test of the sticking rocker arms. The TSB computer scans check first for misfiring codes P0301 through P0306, with the noise in the engine. The engine valve rockers will have to be repaired or replaced as per the TSB to correct your problem. A trained mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can perform an engine misfire inspection and repair or replace parts as needed.