Q: Car won't accelerate past 3000rpm

asked by on August 29, 2016

I've recently got the car running it had been sitting for 8 years and I've got it running I can move it but very little. As I accelerate the car starts to reach 3000 rpm and dies out. Ive tried to figure it out why but I can't seem to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It sometimes struggles to stay on it sounds like it's going to die out then it goes back up. Help !

This issue could be caused by a variety of things.

I would suggest by checking to be sure that the idle air control module is working properly.

Also, check to be sure that the throttle body is delivering fuel as it should.

If you have access to a scanning tool, it would be helpful to download any data that may have registered as a result of the way it is running. You should see a Check Engine Light on as well, which would be an indicator that there will be some trouble codes to download.

I would suggest having an expert diagnose your Check Engine Light and recommend the best path to repair.