Q: I've been told I have 2 thermostats on my 2013 Chrysler 200 touring?

I paid $492 to change 2 thermostats and an adapter at the dealership. Sounds weird and excessive.

There are two separate thermostats in your application, a primary and a secondary. The primary and secondary thermostats have different temperature profiles in terms of their opening temperature because they are located on different areas of the engine. The primary thermostat is located on the front of the water plenum in the thermostat housing/coolant inlet. The secondary thermostat is located in the cylinder head under the water plenum. The adapter that you are referring to does exist and I believe it is associated with the secondary thermostat. It is unclear why that part would have been condemned and replaced especially on a 4 year old vehicle. Thermostats are nominal in cost (typically $10 to $25 each). The labor to replace both thermostats on your car, plus the adapter, is well under three hours. If the adapter costs $60 (looking at OEM dealer on-line price) and the thermostats are $50 total for both (again, OEM dealer on-line price for genuine dealer parts), that leaves nearly $400 for labor which works out to about $150 per hour or so for labor. That labor charge is approximately double what YourMechanic charges and to be perfectly frank it is not economically rational to charge $150 per hour in labor for the indicated repair. The cost is high because at shops there is layer upon layer of overhead, profit and so forth. You can save a lot of money and get the identical service, indeed better service inasmuch as the YourMechanic’s mobile service is personalized, using a mobile network of professionals such as that dispatched by YourMechanic. I hope in the future we can help you save money with your repair or maintenance needs, for example oil and filter changes. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• I've been told I have 2 thermostats on my 2013 Chrysler 200 touring?