Q: My jeep won't move forward or backwards.

I was driving down the interstate and something gave out. I suddenly had a terrible vibration coming from the rear of the jeep. I pulled over to see if I blew a tire and they are fine. Tow truck came and noticed the back wheels are locked up. When I put it in drive and reverse it'll move each direction a few inches then stop. I put it in neutral and tried to manually spin the back tires and they won't move. The brakes aren't locked up. What should I be checking to see what's wrong?

Hi there:

Usually this issue is related to a serious drive line component such as a drive shaft, center gear or transmission output shaft that has broken. When the rear axle is locked up, it’ can also be contributed to internal rear end component damage. A quick inspection you can probably complete is to disconnect the driveshaft pinion connected to the rear end and see if the wheels turn. If not, the damage is inside the rear end pumpkin. You could save a lot of time and frustration by contacting one of our professional mechanics to diagnose why the rear wheels are locked up on your Jeep Grand Cherokee.