Q: Drove car with little 2 no oil & made pop noise & started smoking then adventually died

asked by on February 12, 2017

Was driving with little 2 no oil in motor & was also using the shifter manually, then heard loud pop noise & seen white smoke in rear view mirror as car started trying 2 die which adventually did die. Then it sat for a few min. & started up it would drive but was chugging like not enough power 2 move.

Little to no oil may have damaged internal engine components. Timing chain tensioners for example, are typically oil pressure fed. They rely on the proper oil level and pressure to maintain correct tension on the timing chains. Incorrect tension can effect valve timing. Also, variable valve timing relies on solenoids that are oil pressure fed to vary camshaft lift and duration. Improper valve timing could have caused a backfire (that loud pop) that may have done further damage. I recommend having the vehicle towed to a repair shop for inspection rather than trying to drive it any further. That may cause even more damage.