Q: Rattling noise

Hello, I seem to hear a rattling noise coming from underneath the car from the front chassis area whenever I drive my car in a straight line or slight bends. The sound sometimes go away. I might add that it is not a constant rattling sound, it can be heard at intervals of 5 sometimes 10 seconds.

A: Noises such as this require some creativity...

Noises such as this require some creativity to locate. The first challenge is recreating the noise. It is good that you are paying attention to the conditions it occurs and does not occur during. These kinds of details can help to recreate the noise. Some common things that can create noises such at this are:

• Tin exhaust shields. This is the most common source of noises such as this.
  • Tin shields at the wheels.
  • Sway bar end links.
  • Hub cap.
  • Loose exhaust pipe.
  • Any loose plastic or metal shield.

These are good places to begin looking. But noises are as varied as the number of components on a car. As I stated in the beginning, they often take some creativity to locate. If you’re unable to pinpoint the noise by yourself, contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic.

Good luck!