Q: When changing the car battery, do you "register" the battery to the car computer?

asked by on December 31, 2016

I've been told that when the car battery is replaced with a new battery that it must be programed (registered) with the car computer. If not the battery will not charge properly and can cause damage to the battery and computer. My question is do you reprogram or "register" the battery to the car?

Hi there. Changing the battery has nothing to do with programming a battery. If the car was flat dead with a battery that lost all of the power because the dome light was on, then when jumped the vehicle will run fine. What may need programmed when the battery is replaced is the key fob. The key fob will lose programming to the computer as the vehicle computer is reset. However, if a 9 volt battery saver was put into a cigarette lighter and the car battery was removed, then the computer will not lose its memory and be just fine. If you need further assistance with your battery, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.