Q: The TPS error code P0123 appears only when the AC is on

I had the throttle position sensor replaced on the truck along with the connections and cables, because I was getting an error code P0123. The code indicates the throttle position sensor circuit high voltage. The code was cleared. However, each time I turn the AC on, this happens again. There is a low charge in the AC system, but no error codes appear. The AC compressor is working properly. When I drive the car without AC on, there is nothing out of the ordinary. Why does this code appear with the AC on?

Hello. The low charge in the A/C system is going to cause the A/C compressor to work harder than it should. This will put a greater load on the engine and may cause your throttle position sensor to give a bad reading. Have a certified technician set the A/C system to the proper levels and see if the P0123 code continues. Having the throttle body cleaned may also help fix this problem. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the code more thoroughly in order to have this corrected.

3. The TPS error code P0123 appears only when the AC is on