Q: Car won't idle

My car is a Audi 80 cabriolet 2000year. 1.8 ADR engine . I left my lights on my battery went flat totally dead I jump stated it the following day it started up ok , but won't idle it drives ok but just stalls when I put foot on clutch. I've checked the fuel pump that's fine, it's had a new fuel filter about 6months ago , serviced about 3 months ago . It was fine before the battery going dead. Could the carbon canister solenoid valve cause this problem or do you have any ideas when it stalls and I restart it it sometimes goes like its missing I turn off then restart its ok. Hope you can help

A: The idle is computer controlled on your car...

The idle is computer controlled on your car and over time, your engine computer adapts to changes in your engine over time. When your battery is disconnected or goes dead, the computer will reset and go back to factory settings. The computer thinks it has a new motor and may take a week of driving to relearn the engine again.

You can try to clean the throttle plates and idle control valve of any carbon to help it run better. If you want to have this checked, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car's location to diagnose your stalling issue and assist with any repairs that may be needed.