Q: my rpms remain around 2500 rather than dropping down to the normal 500-1000 idle speed

My car idles too high...unless I almost stall it to bring the rpm's down. I read about the trottle position sensor and I don't think that is my problem.

An intake manifold vacuum leak is likely the issue with your VW. Have a close look at all vacuum hoses that connect to the intake manifold. The large hose that connects to the brake booster is a suspect. Listen closely for hissing sound, too.

If you need assistance with this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your high idle and make the necessary repairs to get it fixed.

3. my rpms remain around 2500 rather than dropping down to the normal 500-1000 idle speed