Q: Engine tries to start, but then makes a grinding sound instead of starting.

Truck won't start. The engine tries to turn over, and then makes a grinding noise.

From your description it sounds like your starter and/or flexplate (flyhwheel if you have a manual transmission) may be damaged. A professional technician, such as the ones at YourMechanic, will be able to give you a definitive answer when they hear the noise in person.

3. Engine tries to start, but then makes a grinding sound instead of starting.