Q: Transmission noise after shutting down engine.

asked by on February 22, 2017

I did a tranny fluid change about a week ago. Only a change not a full flush. I used the correct fluid Dexron Vi, and i also changed the tranny oil filter. My car doest have a tranny dipstick, but i just made sure to put back the same amount of oil i got out. Which is about 4 quarts. I took it for a test drive, and everything seems good. Its shifts a lot smoother. And there are no weird noises when accelerating, or idling, nor when im turning on the engine. But when i turn off the engine there is a very brief, about a second long grinding noise. I tried to turn off the engine in neutral, and the noise is not present. Only when its in park. But it can also be random, It doesn't always do it. Any ideas. Thanks you.

Hello. The grinding noise is likely an internal transmission issue. Putting the new transmission fluid inside of it likely freed up some already sticking components that were already beyond tolerance ranges and they are now becoming abrasive. I would suggest putting some thick Lucas transmission fix into it to help add more hydraulic resistance between the abrasive components. Usually when a transmission presenca issue a cold will come up inside of the transmission control module. You may benefit from having a technician such as one from YourMechanic come to scan your transmission control module for any error codes.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/grinding-sound-from-transmission-inspection