Q: Problems with steering binding up intermittently on 02 Toyota Camry LE V6

Hi, my 2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 has a binding issue while steering in either direction. The rack and pinion are all in great shape, along with the power steering pump and belts, no leaks are visible either, and fluid is clean after flushing the rack. There is a part I cannot place the name on (knuckle, u-joint?) on the steering column in front of the firewall of the engine bay going into the rack that lost it's rubber boot years ago. It's become rusted. Spraying it with PB Blaster temporarily fixes the problem, but quickly wears off. Any advice to the name of this piece is greatly appreciated so I can contact a mechanic from your team to have repairs and/or replacement properly made. It almost killed me today because the steering wheel binded up so badly while making a U-turn, it almost sent me into oncoming traffic, since it didn't want to turn back to go straight without a lot of effort. I do not have any time to fix it myself, so any help is greatly appreciated. I also need a quote.

The part that you are referring to is the "intermediate lower shaft assembly". The Toyota part number is 4522033270. If the shroud is missing, of course that component should be replaced as well so that the new shaft is not damaged by exposure to the elements. To obtain an exact quote for replacement of these parts, please request a quote/service and/or please call the customer service desk at 1-844-249-6752. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Problems with steering binding up intermittently on 02 Toyota Camry LE V6