Q: Car in "limp-mode" - 2004 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500

asked by on September 03, 2016

I have 311,500 miles on my van with some electrical problems. My battery light has been coming on from 2 to 6 seconds at a time and then back off again. I am using a second alternator now. But this problem isn’t the same as the last one. Now my radio will stop for just a split second and come back on. Then sometimes it flat lines – every light on the dashboard will come on then it will go into limp mode. This has been happening for a few years now and getting worse. I can fix this by turning off the engine and waiting for the click from the dashboard and then restarting it. Then it runs perfectly. Well I can’t do this anymore. Now I just put it in neutral and restart it after the click. I don’t have this problem at all when idling the car. It only happens while driving. Do you know what’s wrong with my van?

The boost pressure, and the intake charge temperature sensor in the turbo boost circuit are thought to be the most common origins of "limp mode" problems. The connectors on these 2 sensors become slightly corroded with time, miles and weather conditions, and gradually miscommunicate to the engine control unit - causing limp mode behavior as you note. A professional diesel mechanic can diagnose this problem, and make needed repairs.