Q: Need cv axel half shafts replaced.

Will the mechanic assigned to my car have air tools to properly apply the right amount of torque to the nut?

If a mechanic shows up with an air tool to apply torque to a CV axle nut, run for the exits. The ONLY tool that can be used to tighten that nut is a carefully calibrated torque wrench, preferably one calibrated just prior to the job on your car. The reason that only a calibrated torque wrench can be used is because that hub nut sets the preload on the wheel bearing. If the nut is overtightened, you instantly destroy the hub bearing because the ball bearings are smashed into the bearing races. Nothing in the way of bolts or nuts, removed during the replacement of the CV axles, can be re-assembled without a torque wrench. If you are having the axles replaced, ideally the axle shaft seals should be replaced as well so that you do not have leaks later. If you have other questions about the procedures involved in CV axle shaft replacement please re-contact us. To request a CV axle replacement, simply use your YourMechanic’s website to schedule the repair.

3. Need cv axel half shafts replaced.