Q: The check engine light and the VSA came on at the same time. Is the van (Honda Odyssey 2010) ok to drive.

asked by on December 28, 2016

The check engine light and the VSA came on at the same time on my Honda Odyssey 2010. The VSA light went out after the engine was restarted but the check engine light stayed on. Can I drive the van or is something major wrong?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

VSA is Honda’s name for the electronic stability control system. Most vehicles today have it and use different names. The stability system usually piggy backs on the anti-lock brake system, using the same wheel speed, brake light, steering angle, and other sensors to function properly. Stability control systems can apply brake pressure to an individual wheel, let alone all 4 wheels, if sensors lead the system, to think the vehicle is out of control. If there is a fault with any of these sensors, the VSA light, check engine light, or both, will come on and a fault code will be stored in the engine management system. The vehicle can be driven, however the stability control system will not be performing as designed.

It would be best to have a certified technician look into why the check engine / stability control lights are on to restore the system to peak performance.