Q: Car screeching when starting

asked by on February 03, 2016

When I start my car, there is a screeching noise. In addition, every time I press the gas pedal, it screeches.

Sounds like your are having problems with your drive belt/s. The screeching sound comes from the belt slipping on one of the pulleys it is riding on. If it is slipping and you give it more throttle, it’s just going to make it worse. Depending on the type of belt your have, it may just be lose and simply need to be tightened. If your car has a serpentine belt, it may be necessary to replace the automatic tensioner to resolve the issue. A qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, should be able to help you diagnose the screeching noise and determine if the type of belt you have is in need of repair.