Q: I am having strange issues with my turn signals and headlights.

I have a 1971 Plymouth Fury III. My hazards work fine, but turn signals (both sides) stopped working the other day. I also recently went over a speed bump, and the headlights went out. When I turn the brights on, the lowbeams still work fine. Very confused. I changed all the fuses out, so that’s not it. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Ben.

A: Hello. Most likely you have a bad ground so...

Hello. Most likely you have a bad ground some place. Grounds for the lighting system will be in several different locations throughout the car. The combination switch inside your steering column is a common culprit. What is happening is electricity has lost its normal path and is finding a new one. The results of this are unpredictable and are not an indicator of what the actual problem is.

You will need a wiring diagram and a test light to locate the source of the problem. Often with this sort of problem, a visual inspection of the wiring system will help. One of the most common reasons this occurs is after you have body work done. Grounds will not be good if they are bolted over new paint.

If you need further assistance, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose the lights problem.