Q: Why is my car loud at idle and when accelerating

asked by on October 03, 2017

A couple weeks ago, my car had gotten acceleration problems. I got it tuned up. Still had problems, found out the egr valve gasket was blown. Got a new egr valve and gasket, changed the fuel filter as well. At idle it sounded like a brand new car. It drove better until I hit 40mph and i heard this clicking noise, it went away. Then again at 40 I had to let off the gas because it would rev like it’s in idle hitting the red limit(only when I tried to floor it) So I drove normal 2 days later. I hear this clicking noise. I lift the hood. And hear a clicking noise coming from the egr valve. I go to autozone and they said I have a bad map sensor. That’s the only code that popped up. Well I wouldn’t be able To fix that until Friday. Now I’m thinking does a clicking egr valve have anything to do with that. So I’m driving at night and out of nowhere my car gets loud as I accelerate. I turned it off and it’s still loud. And when I’m crusing it kind of goes away until I accelerate. Help ? thecat?

Generally loud "noise", especially on acceleration, is due to exhaust system leaks or internal muffler (e.g., baffle) failures. The ticking noise is more likely coming from the valve train and not the EGR valve. The OBD-II diagnostic code that "refers" to the MAP sensor can NOT be used to condemn that part especially as MAP sensor out of range readings can simply be due to fluctuations in intake manifold pressure which can in turn be due to faults that have nothing to do with the MAP sensor itself. As an aside, GM MAP sensors RARELY fail. Most are replaced because people mistakenly assume that a "trouble code" that includes the sensor is an actual diagnostic. Trouble codes are NOT diagnoses and thus you should never replace a vehicle part SOLELY on the basis of a trouble code! I think in your circumstance, you are going to be best served by requesting a vehicle noise diagnostic. Although that is nominally the diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will evaluate all of the concerns that you have referred to in your question and then get the underlying fault(s) resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.