Q: Windshield wipers do not work when cold but after car runs for a bit they start right up.

When I go out on a cold morning and start the car, the windshield wipers some times do not function. I check for ice or obstructions. Nothing. After driving for a bit they start to work fine. Any ideas?

Hi there. The issue you are having is there could be water getting into the motor and arm area that is causing the system to freeze up and not function until the water is thawed out. I suggest greasing up the motor and the arm to where it rotates. This will eliminate the water getting inside the motor and also prevent the system from freezing up. If you need further assistance with your wiper system not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Windshield wipers do not work when cold but after car runs for a bit they start right up.