Q: Need to have transmission fluid flushed after I used the wrong kind

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car is a 4 speed automatic, but I wasn't thinking straight and I added CVT transmission fluid to my car. I was in a hurry and I didn't do my research. I was under the impression that all SL trims of this model come equipped with CVTs, until I checked the manual and looked up my VIN, which I should have done before I did anything. What do I do now? I have driven it maybe 50 miles with no noticeable differences in how it shifts or drives. However, I want to play it safe and reverse what I did. Do I need to get the transmission flushed by a mechanic?

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $467.45 Get a Quote

CVT and automatic transmissions function differently and have different transmission fluid needs. Only approved fluids should be used in the your automatic transmission. The vehicle may function normally but may wear much more quickly with the wrong type of fluid. The best way to resolve this is to perform a transmission flush to get rid of all the CVT fluid and replace it with the proper automatic transmission fluid. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can perform a transmission fluid service on your car to flush and replace the fluid.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr