Q: HI I was driving home today and noticed while I was at a traffic light my oil light started to flicker.

asked by on March 06, 2017

My oil light flicker's at a traffix light. I put 2 quarts of suggested oil in the car cause it was low. And it is still flickering on idle. When I step in the gas it is gone.

Oil Pressure Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Engine oil pressure may be below the requirement at idle. To determine that, temporarily install an external pressure gauge and verify that you have at least 5 PSI at idle, although you should compare against the pressure specification set forth in the Factory Service Manual. If pressure is below the minimum requirement, that would explain the flickering of the oil light at idle. As far as what to do about it, if the low pressure is due to wear in the engine bearings, resolving that requires rebuilding the engine. If the low pressure is due to a fault in the oil pump, that pump is replaceable. To have this further evaluated, the recommended service is an oil pressure diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.