Q: 08' Ford Fusion shifter stuck in park, flashing check engine light, sounds like air bubble in engine or sputtering when given gas

For a week now the shifter gets stuck in park, I have to step and release brake a lot times before the shifter finally moves. after about a week of that, my check engine light began flashing then would stay solid at other times...as soon as that light turned on,I noticed my engine sputtering, almost as if you can feel an air bubble in a line between sputters..its very hard to explain, but whenever I step on gas and hit anything over 40mph it sputters and then gives 'air bubble' feeling then sputters and has no horsepower. Then repeats, sputter,air,sputter,air. If I try to go faster feels as if it will die above 40mph. Also, I don't know if it is apart of the problem or not, but, about three months ago my car began to sound like a old rusty LOUD rubber toy everytime I turned the steering wheel...When I turn my steering wheel now it sounds like creaking and rubbing loud noise.this went away for a month and then just came back along with engine and shifter problem! What could it be!

Hello, thank you for writing in. You are likely dealing with multiple problems at once, and only further testing will tell. The first step, due to the check engine light, is to scan the vehicle for diagnostic codes. Use these codes to help direct you towards the issues, focusing on the shifting problem first, unless the codes bring up something more critical. With they being said, the shifting issue is likely a brake light switch failure. The switch doesn’t allow your vehicle to leave park unless the brakes are applied to stop the vehicle from rolling on its own. For more help with testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. 08' Ford Fusion shifter stuck in park, flashing check engine light, sounds like air bubble in engine or sputtering when given gas