Q: Car suddenly stopped responding to acceleration

Suddenly, my minivan quit responding to the accelerator. The steering was still functioning, as well as the brakes. No warning lights appeared before this unexpected problem and there was traffic behind me on a 4-lane road. All the sudden my car would not move and it coasted to a stop. I had to have it towed to the mechanic’s shop. My mechanic said that he suspected it was the torque converter causing the failure. Could you tell me if my car is within any recall rights or how would I find out that information?

A: You can go to SaferCar to check for recalls...

You can go to SaferCar to check for recalls, complaints, etc. There is no recall for this issue with your vehicle, although there were several complaints related to torque converter failure as you describe. Contact your dealer for any technical service bulletins or customer goodwill programs related to this issue.