Q: Car won't turn over

asked by on December 28, 2015

The car will not turn over, even though the windows and alarm work.

Hello, there are multiple possibilities for a no start condition. The first thing to check is that the base engine can be rotated by hand at the damper using ratchet and socket. Second is to check power at the starter motor. There are two power circuits at the starter, twelve volt at all times at the big wire at the starter motor and twelve volts present at the thinner wire with the start position engaged. If no power is present in the start position, the circuit needs to be checked from the starter back to the relay and the relay to a control unit or ignition switch. You may need to enlist the aid of a mechanic to lift the vehicle and perform testing at the starter motor.