Q: My radiator fan is shaking and rattling.

When driving, intermittently my car makes a rattle and vibration. This happens when coming to a stop, at idle, and sometimes while in motion. When I turn the engine off, if the car was vibrating at the time, there will be about half a second of rumble after the car turns off. It looks to be coming from one of the fans between the radiator and the engine, but I do not know this for certain. There is a lot of noise coming from the engine and it sounds as though the fans may askew, causing all of the sound.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The fans can cause the vehicle to shake and vibrate. If you suspect the problem lies with the fans, start there. Check for any broken fins, extra noises, debris, or other obvious signs of damage. If the fans appear to be okay, and do not look out of balance or restricted, turn your attention to the engine. Most engine related vibrations are caused by a misfire, or an issue with the combustion. At that point, you want to check for proper spark, leaks, proper fuel pressure, and fluid levels. For more help with diagnostics, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. My radiator fan is shaking and rattling.