Q: Timing belt is tight and yet appears to be slipping several teeth when belt is rotated,

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 SOHC. I changed the timing belt, water pump, all the pulleys and had a valve job done. I have done several timing belt changes on different subaru's, and have never had this issue. After the belt is on, both belt and sprocket marks are lined up, i do a full belt revolution and the marks on the belt are no longer lined up with the sprocket marks. Turn the sprockets back to the normal timing marks and they are still lined up, but belt marks are not.......whats going on...John

A: This is okay since there are more notches o...

This is okay since there are more notches on the belt than the amount on the sprockets. Once you aligned the first time the belt marks will almost never line up perfectly again. The marks are used to put the belt on correctly. They aren’t used as an indicator after the engine is turned again. You should be okay to start the motor as long as timing marks on pulleys line up. If you run into any issues, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, assist you with the replacement of the timing belt.