Q: head gasket replacement

asked by on November 04, 2016

how do you do it?

Valve cover gasket is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This kind of repair will require a service manual with vehicle specific torque specifications and a step by step procedure. More or less, you have to start by remove the exhaust manifold and the head. This will include indexing components that need to be placed back in the exact position. Once you have accessed the head gasket, you will want to carefully remove the old one. You will then want to prepare the area for installation of the new gasket. Once the old gasket is removed and the surface is clean, you will want to make sure the surface is level and that the new gasket will seal correctly. You can then place the new head gasket into place and use sealant (if and only if your manufacturer requires so) if equipped. Replacing the head and torqueing it into place will require a special pattern and procedure to assure the gasket and head does not warp during this process. This will create further leaks and further head aches down the road.