Q: I'm ready to buy a 2004 Chevy Silverado but chk engine light shows Knock Sensor. Also Oil Pan Leak, Fr Axle Seals Leak. Buy? Cost?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab Z71 with 126,000 miles, but during test drive, the check engine light came on. The computer shows the code of P0332 - knock sensor 2 circuit low input (bank 2). Also, my mechanic said it shows signs of an Oil Pan Leak. And he also said the Front Axle Seals are Leaking. I've gotten the price down to $11,200 but they don't want to do anything more to it including diagnosing and fixing the knock sensor issue. Would you still consider purchasing this truck and if so, what kind of costs am I looking at to fix the 3 issues I mentioned. Also, is the knock sensor thing a pre-cursor to more problems down the road with the engine or is this a common problem and nothing too serious? Thanks, Mike

Hello Mike. You have found yourself in a position where there is a lot to consider, and the choice is going to come down to how much risk you are willing to take with this truck. Starting with the knock sensor, it can be anything from a bad connection to a bad knock sensor itself. If the engine seems to be running quietly and smoothly, it is likely a connection or sensor problem. The oil pan leak is also a problem, because of how difficult they are to fix (even if it is just the gasket). Often you have to remove several components and possibly even raise the engine to get access to it. When you add the axle seals into the mix, you have to consider the time, effort, and money it takes to replace them as well. If the truck is in great condition otherwise, you may have a decent purchase. However, axle seals, oil pan gaskets, and knock sensor issues all happen with heavy wear typically, and the truck may be closer to the end of its life than it seems. 126,000 miles is not a lot, and if you can get the repairs done relatively inexpensively, then you may be taking less of a risk. For a second opinion and inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. I'm ready to buy a 2004 Chevy Silverado but chk engine light shows Knock Sensor. Also Oil Pan Leak, Fr Axle Seals Leak. Buy? Cost?