Q: Why do my brakes wear out so fast?

My 2007 Honda Accord is going through a set of brake pads every 20,000 miles or so. This has been the case since the car was new. I have tried multiple brands of brake pads and now I am thinking that the car is at fault and this problem will persist no matter what. This is really sad because I love my Accord otherwise. The car needs a new set of brake pads again at 60,000 miles and I am now considering trading it in if I can’t find a solution. Please let me know if there is anything I am doing wrong!

Braking issues with any vehicle can most certainly cause some frustration, especially when you are having to replace parts more often than you thought you would! The need to replace your brakes every 20,000 miles does seem a bit excessive. However, I did do some research on this matter and the concern you are experiencing seems to have developed in vehicles that have been adapted to using a new electronic braking system.

Your Honda Accord is equipped with this kind of newer braking system, known as an Electronic Braking Distribution or EBD. The EBD system eliminates the need for a proportioning valve and instead uses the vehicle’s ABS system to monitor the tire rotation. This allows it to apply or release the brakes at each wheel accordingly, aiding in slowing and cornering your vehicle. While this new braking system is proven to aid in quicker stopping and reducing wheel lock while braking, it may be the culprit behind your need to change your brake pads so often. The next best step to tackle this problem would be to replace not only the car’s rotors but also replace the brake pads with a factory set from Honda. These revised brake pads are a little tougher and thicker and will last longer than previous pads. Along with this, I highly recommended taking your vehicle to a certified Honda dealership, where you can request to have an adjustment done to your Electronic Braking Distribution system with their Factory scanner/computer. These two procedures should get you more life out of your brake equipment, as well as relieve some frustrations and save you money over the life your vehicle.