Q: My car heater will blow hot air and drive fine for 30 minutes then my heater blows cold air and my car overheats

asked by on November 08, 2016

My car heater will blow hot air and drive fine for 30 minutes then all of a sudden will blow cold air and start overheating I've change thermostat radiator water pump my radiator cap

Hello. With the recent repairs that have been made to the vehicle, there is only one main heating component that you have not looked into. This would be your heater core. The heater core is responsible for pulling hot coolant from the engine. This hot coolant runs through the heater core as the ambient air is pushed through to warm before entering the cabin. If the coolant can’t flow through the heater core, then the air will blow cold. This can be caused by a clog, a faulty switch, or a process known as electrolysis (electrical current running through coolant). Unless there is a clog that can be dislodged, these issues will all result in a new heater core. To get a precise diagnosis of the problem, I recommend having an expert inspect the overheating problem so this can be resolved.