Q: Pop Sound When Jacking Up Car

I was changing a flat front passenger side tire. After putting on the spare, I lowered my jack. I used a second jack, concerned that mine may slip. However, I started to lower my jack, forgetting about the second jack. There was a loud pop sound. Maybe the sound of the car coming down on the second jack which hadn't been bearing weight before? Anyway, I then lowered the second jack, got it out of the way and lowered my jack the rest of the way. I inspected the frame and nothing looked crunched or wrong. I haven't driven the car yet. When I got in the driver's seat to feel, the driver's side felt low. I wonder if when I jacked up the car, enough weight was shifted to the opposite side of the car and when I jostle/loaded the second jack, I managed to mess up my CV joint/boot? Is that possible? Should I drive it to see? It's not really obvious and maybe I'm just paranoid, but it feels a little off. I can't notice any tilt to the front tire, but it's a little hard to tell.

At first glance, I wouldn’t assume you damage a CV joint during a tire change, however, if the tire blew out and was driven on for a while, that may have caused some damage. The clunking sound may have been caused by a body support mount that collapsed (although this is very rare) or the jack itself when you were lowering it. This is common with generic factory spare tire jacks.

The driver seat may be sitting low because of the different diameter of the spare tire on the passenger side, causing it to lean a bit. The best way to put your mind as ease is to contact one of our local mechanics to complete a visual inspection of where the noise took place and test drive the car for you. This way they can verify that nothing is damaged before you get back behind the wheel.

3. Pop Sound When Jacking Up Car