Q: Why is red oil warning light comes on and off - 2011 Chevrolet Cruze

asked by on October 02, 2016

Vehicle driven without coolant and overheated. It couldnt start after driving it and I then removed cylinder head sent for repair n replaced gaskets. Vehicle now start but red oil warning light comes on and off when vehicle idles. What might be the reasons?

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement $88.87 - $220.77 Get a Quote
Oil Pressure Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

One thing that could cause this is an oil pressure sensor fault. This sensor measures oil pressure signals which are electrical. There could be a mechanical issue with the engine. You would need to check oil pressure with a gauge. If the pressure is low, the light will come on. When you overheat an engine the oil becomes very hot. The oil needs to remove heat as well as lube the engine’s internal components. If it overheats, it will create wear and cause low oil pressure and will damage the engine. If you need help having this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the Oil Light and move forward with repair.