Q: Need to replace the driver's side mirror

asked by on May 17, 2016

How do I remove the the side view mirror (driver's side), and then install the new one that I have? I got the part from Hyundai. I know that I have to remove the cover but do I have to remove the whole door panel? Do you have any tips?

On many vehicles, the door panel does not need to be removed to replace the side mirror. The mirror usually has a small trim piece to cover up the mounting nuts on the interior side of the door. If you remove this cover, the nuts that hold the mirror on, as well as the electrical connector, (if equipped with power mirrors,) will be exposed. Simply remove the nuts with a wrench or socket and unplug the connector. Slide the new mirror into place, plug it in, and reinstall the mounting nuts.

On a more difficult side mirror replacement job, the door panel may need to be removed in order to access the mounting nuts. If this is the case, a few extra screws will need to be removed in order to replace the mirror. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, I would suggest having a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or business to replace your door mirror for you.