Q: I have a 97 jeep Cherokee thats has been running rough. It smells like gas when I drive for awhile and then this morning after dri

asked by on April 13, 2017

My car has been smelling like gas when I drive, I notice thick black smoke come out the exhaust when I accelerate. It didn't want to start this morning after I drove it for awhile each time it would turn over soon as I left the key go it would cut off again

From your description, the cylinders are being oversupplied with fuel. If the fuel trims (from a scanner) are high negative, for sure there is too much fuel and a diagnostic would be required to determine why. Just as an example, the fuel injectors could be leaking or the fuel pressure regulator might have failed, raising supply pressure too high. Also, the possibility of misfiring has to be looked at. Once this is repaired, be sure to check catalytic converter operation because running rich like this can damage (plug up) the converter causing other problems. To get this resolved, please simply request an engine diagnostic - running rich and the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the cause of this problem and implement the necessary repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.