Q: Leaking issue

My car has about 160,000 miles on it. I recently purchased it but I've just started noticing that it is leaking and I cannot pinpoint where it is leaking from. The color it is leaking is wrong to be leaking from the power steering. The leak is coming somewhere from the area below the engine and power steering next to the fuel filter. Can you help me find where it is leaking from? One dealer said it is the power steering and the other said I need to replace the fuel filter and fuel pump.

The fuel filter and power steering system are in two completely different parts of your car.

The power steering pump, rack and lines are located in the engine compartment and the fuel filter is located on the cross member near the rear of the vehicle. So, if the leak is under the engine compartment, you can rule out the fuel filter. The leak will be coming from the fuel line, regulator or injectors - all of which are in the engine compartment - but not the fuel filter. Power steering fluid is typically clear or light brown in cooler; almost the same color as engine oil.

I suggest you have a professional inspect your power steering fluid leak firsthand to determine where the leaks are coming from. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls

3. Leaking issue