Q: Hesitation while staring a 2000 Honda Civic

I have a 2000 Civic. It seems to lack power and hesitates with startup, but once it gets hot, the engine runs fine. Any ideas?

First thing you want to do on a Civic is check the valve lash. Check the adjustment for the mechanically adjustable valves. If the valves are off adjustment on Hondas they will do exactly what you are describing.

The other thing is--the engine tends to carbon up. You can watch my video "how to clean fuel injectors on your car," and have the fuel injectors cleaned because that not only cleans the fuel injectors but cleans the carbon off the valves and those things are notorious for building up carbon as they age since the car is 16 years old. If you need assistance, a qualified mechanic from YourMechanic can inspect your car’s hard start to verify the cause of your issue and perform any needed services on your car.

3. Hesitation while staring a 2000 Honda Civic