Q: Autozone says the camshaft timing is "over retarded" and this is causing the engine light to be illuminated.

asked by on March 06, 2017

Autozone used some sort of device that is supposed to pinpoint your troubles. As stated above, the check engine light is on but the odometer reading is flashing also. The battery connections have been checked. They say there is a problem with the cam timing and go on to say the problem is caused by the VCM system switching off and on during light throttle conditions etc. the constant switching causes excessive oil consumption and the trouble codes appear when oil pressure drops to the point where it can no longer operate the VCM system. They don't say how to fix it and I don't understand the problem explanation either. Should I have you look at it or even be worried about it ? Code U1504

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote

Try changing the engine oil and filter to a good type of oil and filter. This will help with the VCM system and keep it functioning properly. If the VCM continues to act up and cause the engine oil pressure to drop, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr