Q: Why is the paint coming off?

The paint on my 2006 Honda Accord is in a sad state. I'm really disappointed with the lack of quality involved in painting this car. While the vehicle is relatively new at only 50,000 miles, I think this is going to affect the resale value of the car and feel foolish for investing so much, only to have it look so worn and used. Is there any way to reverse the fading and chipping in the paint or is the only solution to repaint it?

A: This particular concern of yours hits close...

This particular concern of yours hits close to home for me, as I am one to love a shiny clean car with nice paint! As a fellow Honda owner, I am quite familiar with the paint deterioration issues Honda has had over the years. While it is possible to repair paint chips, the problem area that has been touched up will look noticeably different if you come close enough to the vehicle, so I do not generally recommend it. Now if the clear coat on your car is not damaged yet (this is the shine you see over the car paint), it is possible to restore and maintain faded paint with polishing and waxing. Polish and wax act as a barrier between the paint and the harmful UV rays that the sun beats down on your vehicle. This will not work in every scenario however. Parking in a covered parking spot or a garage will definitely aid in reducing further damage to your vehicle’s paint, but this will not restore it. If a covered parking spot or garage is not an option for you, it may be a good idea to invest in a quality car cover to protect your paint. These cover the entire car and will help paint last through the years.