Q: Loss of oil pressure

After the car warms up and I accelerate the oil pressure tach says it drops from 192 psi to 3 at its lowest but usually about 30 then rise as I let off or hold it at the same idle. The oil light will come on and ding then go away. There is plenty of oil. And at an idle it reads 192 and does not move. Could it be a sending unit or sensor? Thank you for your help

The oil sender may be bad causing the erratic readings. I would, however, suggest having the oil pressure tested with a gauge before replacing the sending unit for the oil pressure. If it tests okay and the pressures are normal, then it is the oil sending unit that needs to be replaced. If you would like to have the oil pressure inspected, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to determine what fixes may be necessary.

3. Loss of oil pressure