Q: Start problem with good crank.blown head gasket.

asked by on December 11, 2016

Hi. I just bought a used Nissan Altima 2006 2.5s from a local dealer as is condition. From the second day, it started problem with start. There is good crank, but takes many times to get started. I changed the starter as a mechanic suggested me. The problem is still there. Then in diagnostic test by Glenn, they said blown head gasket. Does this lead to this start problem? Because once the car is started, it runs pretty smooth, no overheating problems. But it needed coolant top up and gives some amount of white smoke. I don't want to spend a big amount, so I asked others and heard it can be camshaft sensor. What's going to help me? I think repairing will also not help start problem ,is it? Will bluedevil sealer work?

Hi there:

In most cases, the symptoms of white smoke and needing to add coolant frequently mean you have a blown head gasket. It can cause inconsistent starting problems as you’ve described, but it’s also possible that the crankshaft position sensor is also damaged. Changing a head gasket is a rather expensive repair, but using "bluedevil sealer" will not solve this problem. You might want to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a car is hard to start inspection to determine why your Altima is having this issue.