Q: Shifting won't go into gear - 1973 Chevrolet C20

asked by on September 04, 2016

My truck has a 500 catty motor in it, but I am pretty sure it has a 350 transmission in it. The transmission shifts but won’t go into any gear. The fly wheel is bolted up. All of the fluids are in good shape. I adjusted the linkage, but the shifting feels weird on the column. It doesn’t feel normal like it should. Do you have any suggestions?

Check fluid level in the transmission. Did you correctly engage the front pump with the torque convertor, and filled the torque convertor with fluid before installing it? Let the truck idle 15 minutes or so, and check for Drive/Reverse after fluid has circulated, topping off fluid if necessary. If still no Drive/Reverse, have the truck taken to a transmission shop that can diagnose the transmission.