Q: Loose Steering? 2012 GMC Sierra 1500

Our (GM Certified) Sierra has loose steering. The wheel can move 1/2" while driving down the road straight. The dealer replaced the rack & pinion and had no luck. Next, they replaced the steering shaft. It is STILL doing it. First, would a re manufactured rack & pinion make much of a difference? Could it be faulty and we should request an OEM? Second, What else could it be? We are thinking of taking it to a different dealer today. Thanks!

A: Hey there. I would suggest having the inner...

Hey there. I would suggest having the inner and outer tie rods checked for looseness and replaced if any play is found. When checking the rack and pinion mounts and bushings there should also be no looseness. The steering’s free travel should be checked to specifications and rack and pinion adjusted if too loose. If you need help having this looked at, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the loose steering wheel and help follow through with needed repairs.