Q: Can a bad breather filter located under the PCV valve cause my car to turn off after starting it?

My car starts but it shuts off immediately.

No. You should look at the ignition switch not supplying power to the ignition when it is in the run position. This is the most common cause of stall after starting. The ignition switch supplies 12 volt power to the ignition coil on the red wire when it is in the start position and uses another circuit to send power to the coil when your switch moves to the run position. You will need to turn the key to run and see if you have power to the red wire at the ignition coil. If you have no power, then it is in the ignition switch on the steering column under the dash and it needs replaced. If you would like to have this scoped out by an expert, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling problem in person.

• Can a bad breather filter located under the PCV valve cause my car to turn off after starting it?