Q: My SUV is running hard and has the Diagnostic Trouble Code P0016

I started the vehicle and it was running hard and kept bogging down. The engine light came on. When i drove it down the road it seemed like it was shaking really hard. I grabbed a portable diagnostic computer and ran it and the code says p00016. I see multiple things on the internet that can cause the problem but i am unsure of how to check them.

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. The code P0016 is for the crankshaft position sensor. Check the wiring harness to the sensor that is located on the bottom of the engine by the crankshaft pulley. Check for voltage and ground. If there is voltage and a ground, then replace the crankshaft sensor.

The shaking and bogging down is caused by the computer trying to adjust the engine for timing, however, when the computer doesn’t know where cylinder 1 is on the crankshaft, then multiple misfires will be detected and a loss of power will occur.

If you need further assistance with diagnosing the trouble code your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle at your home or office for an accurate repair.

3. My SUV is running hard and has the Diagnostic Trouble Code P0016